Social Media was put in place to network and to help keep people connected. Especially when we went off to college and separated from people we spent so much of our life with. I remember when Facebook started I was in my Freshman in undergrad. We would find out what college was throwing a dope party on Thursday nights. Yea Thursday was party night at my college. We would see who was dating who and link up on summer breaks. Facebook began to change when they started letting everybody and they mother in (LMBO). I began to see so many post where people told too much of their business, woe is me (syndrome) began and don’t let me get started with the fight videos, and helpless people needing help and people just recording videos (all this in the hopes of going viral). Our human way to empathize has really gone out of the window. Yes, I know we have freedom of speech but so much is being said that would not be told in real life, because it’s so easy to hide behind a keyboard or phone. In this Post I’m going to talk about how we can use social media without it taking over our lives.
1. HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
I know we all do not plan to be on social media as much as we truly are. But lets be honest you get on and you get to scrolling and scrolling and then look up to realize you’ve been on Instagram for 2 hrs (HOW SWAY). So here’s what I do
- Post Engage & Get Off: Ive been Posting my content, engaging with the first few comments, scroll for a few minutes, engage with post on my feed, and then I get off. This helps you be diligent with planning, creating and pitching for more content as well as it gives you a balance to tap into your creative side.
- If you have an iPhone you can go to your instagram and in the settings there’s an activity section. In that section is where you can manage your time, Set daily reminders, and put a notification setting. You can also track your daily average of how long you’re on the app.
2. Do You Find Yourself Comparing Yourself To Others:
If you find yourself doing this, get off the app and start to tap into what you want for yourself, and how you see yourself. It’s bigger than instagram. Nobody should make you feel like you have to compare yourself to them (and they do not even know you’re doing it). That’s a problem you’re dealing with internally. It’s time to take a break, regroup and focus on what truly makes you happy.
- Take time with your family and friends so you can release this pressures that society placed on you inadvertently
- Focus on what you’re bringing to the table. Everyone has a different avenue that they’re trying to convey to their audience. What you are creating may not be the same and in my opinion thats what will make you stand out.
- Find your why, why are you creating the content, are you truly trying to help people or are u just looking for a fast buck. My Why: I’m just a person who likes to help people ( hence why I’m a nurse) I created this platform to help women tap into their natural beauty, I want mothers to feel like they’re doing a good job their way ,I want to help inspire people to be their Great Self.
3.What if Social Media Is Your Job:
If social media is your job then you really should be using your time very wisely. Less scrolling and more creating as Marrica Evans would say. You believe in your content enough to post and get off in a few minutes, in order to create more bomb content. You should set a day to do administrative work (if you do not have a manger)such as : creating invoices, sending pitches and responding to emails, working on your brand, creating or editing content, and somewhere in there educating yourself more on your craft. My day is Mondays, I re-group from the weekend and check off a lot from my to do list. If you work a full-time job your days may be on Sat-Sun ( thats when you probably create as well). Luckily for me I do 12hr shift typically towards the end of the week. I create two days during the week in bulk. But I will leave that for a separate post later down the line.
If you find yourself comparing yourself, ask yourself why? And tackle it. I know it’s not easy this day in age because we all want nice things, to have the perfect career, make lots of money (because somehow that equals happiness), and be beautiful (even if that means going under the knife). It shouldn’t be this stressful to live. Tell me how you feel about this in the comments